Monday, October 9, 2017

Plans for new work 2017-18

I'm planning two projects for the next three to six months. The first is a quilt, or possibly a series of quilts about my mom. My mom turned 88 this year and we were reminiscing and looking at old photos. As I looked at pictures from a time that I only know from her stories, I was drawn to somehow memorialize her life through fabric and thread. I have been recording her words, scanning old photos and planning a piece that not only celebrates her life, but the world remembered by the fast disappearing "Greatest Generation". As I record her words I begin to underestand how listening is the greatest gift to give another. My mom is in good health for her age, but I don't know how much longer I have with her. This project gives me joy but also fear, for the time of loss somewhere ahead.

Here is photo from my design wall:


Here we are with a quilt that we made together. My mom made the blocks in a quilting class several years ago that was in her "UFO" drawer. I assembled it and hand embroidered imagery from documented crop circles from Wiltshire, England.



My other long-term project is the series on the Tao Te Ching. My next piece is for verse #47:



No comments:

Post a Comment