Wednesday, April 20, 2016

First Exhibition of 2016






     It was great to participate in this show curated by Nancy Roy-Meyer at Butte College Art Gallery near Chico in Northern California. I presented four pieces of my work from grad-school and a new piece that I created to emphasize the Suburban Truisms that have been a big part of my creative process starting in the summer of 2014.




                              Suburban Truisms. 60 x 32". Hand-embroidery on cotton. 2015.

     The cross-stitched words are almost two inches tall creating an oversize "sampler"  that declares my version  of aphorisms for twenty-first centuy suburban culture. The statments are meant to provoke thoughts about behavioral assumptions. This isn't a great photograph, but the piece was purchased at the exhibition, so I didn't have a chance to get it professionally photographed.

     My Piece Locked Up was juried into "Interperetations: Celebrating 30 Years" at Visions Art Museum in October of 2015:







                     Locked Up. 60 x 33 ". Fabric, digital photos on fabric, hand stitching. 2014.

     This piece asks questions about fear hidden inside ouselves and our homes. We lock up our stuff, lock out others and let fear control us.

     It's been great to see pieces from this body of work featured in various exhibtions. My work will also be in a group show titled Feminism Now at Gallery D in San Diego in May. I am working on a new faric piece that focuses on fear and the real estate market. I will continue to pursue themes of suburban life, feminism and modern domesticity.



No comments:

Post a Comment