Tuesday, October 7, 2014

October work in progress


Suburban truisms re-categorized:



      An earlier version printed on a t-shirt and tote bag. This needs work. I am cosidering other domestic objects to print on as well as printing individual truisms on tags attached to domestic objects.




        There are 16 different security companies with signs posted throughout my neighborhood. I am working on a photo-montage of these signs as well as locks and gated areas, that I want to print on  fabric.


          


24 more squares needed to complete the 60 days project.



     I am focusing on the use of text in my work combining words or phrases from signage or words that are significant to me.  I have revised and condensed my artist statement making it more specific:

I make art about suburban idealism. The dream of suburban bliss is a ubiquitous American value. As a white, middle class, middle-aged female I confront this dream by looking at the paradoxes I observe in my suburban environment. This includes the violence hidden in peaceful neighborhoods, and the fear of “other” that leads to isolation. I also examine my own lost innocence—my belief that the world is a safe place and there is justice for all.

In this exploration I am examining and critiqueing my relationship to popular culture, the art world, and middle-class values.








3 comments:

  1. Good work! This seems like an interesting and fruitful direction how are you feeling about it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its working for me. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent artist statement it does a very good job of explaining the ideas behind your work. The truisms fit in with the idealized utopian dreams in comparison to the abrupt difference of reality. Exciting Ann it looks like its coming together for you.

    ReplyDelete